Thursday, August 21, 2008

Can you help me identify this plant?

Here are the pictures:

The plant is growing on my balcony. I did not plant it. The pot is from my landlord who left it and the earth was very dry. As soon as I placed it where water and sun were available a bunch of plants started to grow, mostly bad weed and grass, but this one stands out. I think it is some sort of climber. But then it bloomed and the flowers look really weird. And I got very curious as to what kind of plant it was. I tried to search based on the leaves and flower but no luck. Some leaves look very similar to other types but the stem is right under the leave, a bit like an umbrella. So it think it maybe a tropical plant.

Click on the pictures to see them larger. You can request more pictures if you think it is necessary.


Five red petals with same number of yellow sepals with red outlines


Here is the flower on the side, notice how the bract protrudes from the back like pointy hat.

Here are the leaves, 7 points wit the stem coming from underneath roughly at the center.


Sorry about the focus, my phone has no macro.
Any ideas?

Identified!


Thanks to the people of GardenWeb and Facebook.

1 comment:

MorseCodeBlack said...

This is a Nasturtium. It grows well in warm climate. We used to have these in our garden when I was about 10 years old :)